February 27, 2018

How to Choose the Right Roller Cover

With Spring around the corner, there’s no better time to start planning for your home painting projects. But, before you get started, there are a few logistical details to nail down first. Which room will you start with? Which paint color should you choose? How do you budget for the project? And, finally, what tools do you need to make the project as easy as possible?

We believe that the perfect paint project starts with so much more than just the right paint. It starts with the right tools of the trade.

Choose the right roller

First thing’s first: There are different types of rollers to choose from. The most common type of roller is a manual roller, which is most often used to paint walls and ceilings. The manual rollers have connectors for handle extensions, which will allow you to get the most reach out of your roller, without having to constantly climb up and down a later or strain your back.

Tip: The key with getting the most out of your manual roller is finding the right roller cover. More on that below!

For trim, edging or more fine and detailed painting projects, you’ll want to choose a trim roller. These rollers are only three to four inches in length, which will allow you to precisely work around switch plates, trim frames and door knobs.

Tip: When using a trim roller, give the paint a final glaze over with the paint brush to give it a more finished brush look.

Choose the right roller cover

When choosing a roller cover, there are different nap lengths (which is the thickness of the woven cover) to consider. The surface that you’ll be painting is what will determine the nap. The longer the nap, the more paint it will hold.

For a smooth or fine surface, such as walls, wood and metal surfaces, a ¼” nap roller cover or even a foam roller cover is ideal.

For smooth to light textured walls, like ceilings and drywall, a medium, ⅜” nap is best.

Your best, all-purpose roller cover for most walls is the ½” nap roller cover.

Finally, for stucco, decks, brick and masonry, you’ll want to choose a ¾” or 1” nap roller cover. This is the thickest nap available in a traditional roller cover and can hold the right amount of paint to get into the crevices of a rough surface.

If you happen to see a white roller cover with blue diagonal stripes, that is an indication that the roller cover is made of microfiber. Because microfiber has (as its name indicates) is composed of very small fibers, it’s perfect for releasing a small amount of coating onto a wall. So, if you want to create a spray-like finish or an ultra-smooth surface, microfiber is a great choice.

Choosing the right paint products

At James T. Davis, we’re always here to help. Stop by our store or give us a call for help navigating your next paint project.

Stay In Touch

Take 10% off your next order!

Skip to content