Feel the need to flip the switch on the current paint scheme in your home? We get it, it’s hard to revamp a space when every design advice out there suggests keeping the walls neutral. But what if you decided to do something different, something stark to the normal white-based walls? Then we think you should meet one of our 2019 colors of the year: Midnight Magic.
Why Go Black on Walls?
A rumor has been circling around in interior design magazines and blog posts for years. It goes something like “Dark paint colors make a room look smaller and should therefore be avoided at all costs.” But it’s 2019, and if Bobby Berk has shown us anything, it’s that black paint can make a big statement while making a room look anything but small 👏.
In contrast, black paint can modernize a room while bringing an element of drama and elegance to a space. It’s also versatile too as it can be used for a simple accent wall or the primary neutral in a color palette. (Hello, stunning dining room!)
Even though we are parting with the old faux-pas against dark colors, don’t just go and paint everything black in your home just yet. Colors like Midnight Magic need some design guidelines to follow as it is a very dynamic color and can overpower a set design motif if you’re not careful.
Here’s how you can pull off this dramatic color.
- Stick with rooms that have plenty of natural sunlight since dark colors absorb more light
- For a softer, balanced look, add elements or white such as a white-colored ceiling, trim or decor pieces.
- Don’t make the mistake of having a paint coverage mishap! Dark paints have a clear base instead of a white base which will require you to add more coats than a lighter color.
Add the Finishing Touches
Every good paint job needs some decor accents to polish off the space. Luckily, there are plenty of beautiful decor trends out there. Try mixing your new black paint with these design ideas:
- Try out marble accent pieces like a side table or accent wallpaper
- Incorporate pieces with natural metals like copper or gold
- Try a monochromatic scheme between white and black shades
- Add contrast by adding a pop of color through throw pillows or curtains
Make Midnight Magic Your Main
Every great design takes risk. But if you’re ready to leave white walls behind and achieve a bold look for your home, then this is the color for you. Try it out by reserving a free sample. You also can schedule a free design consultation to get ideas from our experts.